Category Full-time Permanent
Posted February 1, 2022
Staff Accountant/Senior Staff Accountant
Category Full-time Permanent
Posted February 1, 2022
A Firm for Entrepreneurs
Welch LLP is ideal for professionals with an entrepreneurial spirit. Welch offers its employees invaluable prospects: possibility for growth and advancement; variety to explore different career paths; opportunity to specialize and deepen skills; and flexibility of work-life balance to enjoy family and personal interests.
Grounded in a values-led culture (care, impact, empower), Welch is focused on creating a diverse and inclusive environment, nurturing women in leadership, and supporting its surrounding communities. At Welch, we know our employees are our number one asset. It is our people that enables Welch LLP to be a firm like no other.
National Firm expertise, with the value and service of a small firm
Established in 1918, Welch evolved from a single office to the largest locally-owned and operated firm in the region. With 12 offices and over 300 people across Ontario and Western Quebec, Welch LLP has deeps roots in the communities it serves. Welch ranks as the 14th largest accounting firm in Canada and continues to grow.
Headquartered in Ottawa, the key to Welch’s success is continually evolving to meet the needs of its employees, clients and the marketplace. With a full suite of professional services, ranging from traditional assurance to expert business advisory, our clients respect and value the firm’s expertise and commitment to exceptional service. Welch’s clientele is as varied as the economic landscape, ranging from start-ups to large, multi-divisional privately-held companies, not-for- profit organizations and public sector entities.
About the Opportunity
Welch LLP is currently looking for experienced Staff Accountants and Senior Staff Accountants whose primary tasks will include preparing notice to reader engagements, participating in audits, and preparing personal and corporate tax returns. Various start dates in 2023 are available – please indicate your preference in your cover letter.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist supervisor with the preparation of various assurance engagement files which would include audits and reviews.
- Prepare compilation engagement working paper files.
- Prepare basic financial statements as part of the working paper files.
- Prepare basic corporate tax returns.
- Prepare personal tax returns.
- Summarize client financial information in accounting packages or spreadsheets.
Senior Staff Accountant
- Lead and execute client assurance engagements while providing exceptional client service under varying reporting frameworks.
- Plan and execute fieldwork assignments, including managing budget and resource needs.
- Analyze and review client prepared financial statements, reports, and filings.
- Supervise and mentor junior staff.
- Maximize engagement profitability by ensuring recovery rates on jobs are maintained at or above firm standards. Where recovery rates on jobs are below firm standards, work with the staff to ensure all aspects of the engagement are operating effectively and efficiently.
- Prepare corporate tax returns.
- Participate in income tax and indirect tax planning and consulting.
- Think strategically about client needs by understanding their business in order to serve as a trusted business advisor.
- Anticipate technical issues to avoid crises and where required, develop sound solutions.
- Involve appropriate firm personnel to ensure all aspects associated with the work have been properly addressed.
- Demonstrate technical competence in practice discipline, serve as a technical resource for staff, and provide suggestions for resolving technical issues.
- Minimum completion of a University degree with a specialization in Accounting
- Previous experience in a similar role in public accounting is required
- Experience using Caseware or TaxPrep is considered a strong asset
- Working towards fulfilling the experience requirements required for the CPA designation
- Excellent communication skills in English; bilingualism (English and French) is a strong asset
- Strong knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
If you are interested in a great career opportunity with a growing, flexible and dynamic organization, please apply by sending your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with subject line “Staff Accountant/Senior Staff Accountant”.
Welch LLP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Are you ready for a career at Welch LLP?
Join a team that wants to help you advance your career and achieve success, whether you’re still a student or an experienced professional. We will support you every step of the way on your path to success.